The Davis Family Foundation only supports organizations whose primary purpose falls within one of the following categories:
Educational Organizations: Colleges, universities, and other educational institutions. (Grants are not made to public elementary and secondary schools, nor to schools which receive financial support from a church or other religious organization. Trustees will consider requests from other educational organizations whose purpose is to promote systemic change in education or provide innovative programs whose objectives are to improve education.)
Medical Organizations: Hospitals, clinics and medical research organizations. Trustees will consider requests from other similar health organizations for programs designed to increase the effectiveness or decrease the cost of medical care.
Cultural/Arts Organizations: Organizations whose customary and primary activity is to promote music, theater, drama, history, literature, the arts or other similar cultural activities.
Applicants must complete the application corresponding to the category that represents their organization's primary purpose. This is not necessarily the primary purpose of the proposed project.
- Southern Maine
- Other parts of Maine
- Other parts of New England are a low priority
The Foundation does not accept applications from organizations outside of New England unless the project is 100% Maine-based.
- Religious programs
- Annual giving campaigns
- Organizations with a project which may be aligned with the Foundation’s funding categories, but whose primary mission is not
- Organizations outside of New England, unless the project is 100% Maine based
- Public elementary and secondary schools
- Charter schools, although requests for startup funds are eligible.
- Schools which receive financial support from a church or other religious organizations
- Health/Medical organizations with no licensed clinician
We are unlikely to fund
- General operating expenses (including ongoing salaries)
- Multi-year grants
- Re-granting projects